Paiutes on the playa?

Weird connection..

Postby Alchemy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:57 am

I was reading a while ago that around a hundred and something years ago. tha Piautes were banding together with other tribes to resist the american cavalreys advancement and attacks. They went deep into the dessert and danced for 7 days straight to get right before battle...

Did they go to Zara?
got fire?
Alchemy

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:15 am

theCryptofishist wrote:The thing I like about frybread (apart from tastiness, of course) is the whole meaning it has to me about survival and continued cultural evolution. After the US govment took away the land, it basically became responcible for the feeding of the indians. They shipped them flour, as if breadmaking were completely obvious. (Talk about cultural blinders!) Frybread is what the indians invented to do with it.

I just love that story.

My sister told it better.

That's an interesting story, Cryp. I have no doubt that it's true, but they must have had some baking powder/sode and some fat/oil for the frying. Probably the whiteys didn't have dried yeast back then.

The Injuns I know prefer bologna sandwiches. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Thecatman » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:22 pm

If anybody makes frybread tacos, be sure to save the WVO so it can be transformed into biodiesel.
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Native Americans

Postby twothphry » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:03 pm

I am the dental director of the Susanville Rez just over the mountains from BRC. I do not know of any Piutes from our area who are burners.
I do know that the Local Native Americans get discounted tickets as my friend at the Reno Indian colony can score discounted tickets.
"It's never to late to have a happy childhood"
Tom Robbins
twothphry

a shoshone on the playa

Postby snake » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:13 pm

i'm coming from the nearby rez of fallon. we're paiutes and shoshone. but i find for the most part, local indians suffer enough of the heat, dust, and winds of this environment...that the prospect of sitting out in the desert with a bunch of crazy white people....just isn't their cup of tea.
though a few do trickle through on occassion.
snake

Previous

Return to 2007 Theme