got all 6 sides welded together. I had to order the 3/8 thick, 36x42 top, from new, which is a bummer, but no suitable used plate could be had locally, so, I did it.
and, to my surprise it seems to have stayed good and flat, thanks to welding advice from Looneytune, about stitch welding, balancing all sides, and just doing a little at a time, letting things cool between sessions. It took 2 days to just weld the top on.
the rest of the structure also stayed surprisingly square, with only minor adjustments when putting the top on.
As soon as I find the flue pipe I need, I'll cut the exhaust port in the top, attach pipe and do some "test burns" to see how it does. But most importantly, graduating heating and cooling cycles, at a "unit", to relieve stresses from welding: *note stick welds no de-slagged yet*
This is how it will face the "room", it's sort of going in a corner. Loading door to the left, glass viewing door, right:
loading door to right, left side towards wall:
left is viewing door, right side to wall, and include auxilary smoke inlet (if I decide to add and extra, small stove), and/or fresh air intake, for a line from outside, directly into the stove. I may add another fresh air inlet lower.
adjustable air inlet, to create a "swirl" in the fire pattern inside, for efficiency (I hope). It goes into a pipe, with holes drilled in one direction, just below the smoke shelf, to send the circulation back towards the front, and add some fresh combustion air, to help burn unburned gasses at the top.
underside of smoke shelf, aux. input in back, and horizontal pipe with holes, for the adjustable air intlet, above: (taken from the loading door)
the two rear legs are adjustable:
checking for warpage in top........came out pretty good:
I add my dainty hand, for scale: