HOW TO BUY AND SELL A BURNING MAN TICKET
There are some folks who try to profit off of reselling tickets, fake or legit. This goes against the ethos of our community. Below are some tips to keep these transactions safe and ensure no hassles at the gate.
RESELLING AT A HIGHER PRICE JUST PLAIN SUCKS
If you want to sell your ticket we ask that you please do not sell it for more than you paid. If buying, do not buy a ticket for higher than the face value printed on it. As long as people are willing to get overcharged, there will always be unscrupulous folks out there peddling overpriced tickets.
There are many security features on the tickets including special shiny gold foil on one side, maroon foil on the back and raised embossing in a custom pattern. Buying in person means you can check the tickets for these features and make sure the numbers and price match what you've been told.
We suggest you buy your ticket from a legitimate source: the Burning Man website tickets.burningman.com or one of the walk in ticket outlets (listed on the ticket page), and save yourself the hassle of at the very least feeling ripped off and at the most not being allowed into the event because you have a fake ticket. If you choose to purchase through a third party we highly suggest you meet in person for the tickets and not risk buying through the mail. The Eplaya is a good place to post buying or selling tickets.[i] [Added by Moderator: Buyers, please post in the threads with tickets offered, and do not start new threads][/i]
Here are scams to look out for that have happened in the past:
1. Seller gives tickets numbers from another person's tickets and may even produce photos of the tickets, doesn't actually have the tickets though, then collects money via mail or Paypal and cuts off contact with buyer. Recourse: possible chargeback through Paypal, no recourse if money order or cash
2. Seller gives their ticket numbers out, collects money and mails an empty envelope or nothing at all. Recourse: possible chargeback through Paypal, no recourse if money order or cash
3. Seller claims tickets can be printed out at home using a special link they will give out. Collects money and sends bogus email, then cuts off contact. NOTE: BURNING MAN TICKETS CANNOT BE PRINTED AT HOME.
Recourse: possible chargeback through Paypal, no recourse if money order or cash
If you are buying a ticket and want to check to make sure it hasn't been reported lost, stolen or part of a scam - send us an email partiserv(at) burningman(dot)com BEFORE you buy it with ALL of the following:
1. The full name of the original ticket holder and the email address they used to purchase the ticket(s)
2. The 8 character ticket serial codes off the back of the ticket(s) as well as the 5 digit number. Without all of that information we cannot check for you.
We will let you know to the best of our ability that the tickets have not been reported lost or stolen or falsely used in any kind of scam. But in the end we cannot be responsible for a dishonest person who is running a scam. We just do what we can on our end.
If you are buying or selling a ticket, please let us know your mailing address so we can make sure to get you the current Survival Guide and other important information about Burning Man 2010. Our permits require us to send every ticket holder a Survival Guide and it contains unique important information each year. We absolutely do not sell or give your information to ANYONE. Send us an email to: partiserv(at)burningman(dot)com with your street address and whose tickets you are purchasing.
Good luck buying and selling and a safe journey to the playa!
BM Ticket Minions
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.