Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
I would like to set up some sort of kitesurfing event at pyramid lake during burning man. Must be great to meet some kite addicts and share a couple of unforgettable moments on this crystal clear lake in the middle of the desert!!!!
- kiting on the playa is restricted to 9 o'clock zone and the sand can be darn hard to land on
- winds seem to be quite consistent and strong enough for a 9-12m rig
- it seems to be unclaimed kitesurfing territory (at least not claimed by any dutch!)
- from what it looks like from the highway the shore is accessible quite easily, it should be good enough for a 2 person launch, not for self launch
- must be nice to be out of the dust and into the water for at least once!
- it is only a short drive from the playa?
- what's better to battle the hangover then kiting?
- who wants to join??
- it it easy to leave and re-enter the playa? I'd guess this is not happening frequenltly, maybe there are some strict regulations applicable?
- are there any other restrictions or whatever I should consider?
What's in it for me?
- prize money is a bit below PKRA and not quite the burning man spirit, so: an icecream for the biggest kiteloop :)
Hope this post attracts some dare-devil kiters, would be great to hear from you!
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:03 am
Re-entry is possible, but discouraged. $20 per person.
Use of the lake requires a permit from the reservation. I know the camping permit is $5. There may be restrictions on where you can launch. They have contact information in the survival guide I think, but I'd have to look it up and now that's your job.
- Moderator Emeritus
- Posts: 15490
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
- Location: Dude, where's my funny hat?
- Burning Since: 2001
- Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Department of tethered aviation (DOTA) would likely have relevant info for you...
- Posts: 1544
- Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:57 am
- Location: Shangri-la
Dutch wrote:- it is only a short drive from the playa?
Actually its about a 150 mile round trip from BRC to Sutcliffe Marina over a notorious highway.Could be a short drive for you but if I was into kite surfing would probably just hit Pyramid when leaving event for good.
Don't you think we could have gotten some other space cadet for that Rebenga hit? Cheaper too.Fifty bucks. .........Omar Suarez
- Posts: 549
- Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:56 am
- Location: Former Club Verboten
- Burning Since: 1999
- Camp Name: club neu
Return to Shelter & Camping
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest