By all means read and heed the survival guide... WE ARE NOT KIDDING ONE DAMN BIT ABOUT WHAT CONDITIONS MAY BE LIKE!
Here's some things you may not see on the guide;
1) Leave your expectations at home, You'll be very limited or greatly disappointed
2) Come with an open mind, willing hands and an open heart.
3) Prepare to be totally blown away at every turn. Sensory overload is the rule rather than the exception.
4) Take care of yourself and your camp mates. Drink water!
5) Moderation is the key in all things Burning Man, too much of anything is not a good thing.
6) If you bring it to the Playa TAKE IT BACK OUT WITH YOU WHEN YOU LEAVE! Burning Man is a Leave No Trace Event.
7) SLOW DOWN! Enjoy what's in front of you. You're never going to see everything that's going on at Burning Man anyway so don't even try to. Just chill in the moment.
Make time for yourself, get away from camp mates/partner/whatever and go exploring on your own. But be sure to check in, let people know when you plan on coming back.
9) Do your fair share around camp. Don't get so distracted you forget to do your chores.
10) If you "just can't take it anymore" sleep on it, give it 24 hours before you decide to split.