I built a swamp cooler using Figjam's wonderful instructions, and it works great connected to 8 AA batteries. Now I want to connect it to a bigger battery, but my first attempts melted the wire!
I bought a West Marine SeaVolt Dual Purpose 685 car battery. It says cranking amps = 685 and amp hours = 65. When I wired it up to my swamp cooler, I used cheap Radio Shack speaker wire (24 gauge copper core) on the battery, with a switch in between the 24 gauge stranded wire coming from swamp cooler. When I switched it on, the fan came on but the wire connected to the battery got hot and melted in about 3 seconds. What a stink! Also scared me! I've been searching around for info on how to do this correctly, but see nothing about what kind of wire to use. Advice, anyone?